Sunday, June 16, 2013

‘I wanna be elected !’ – Alice Cooper 1972

I’m standing for election to the ICE’s Council. This body meets four times a year to discuss the strategic direction and set the policy of the Institution. These discussions cover education, training, qualification and issues concerning ICE's role as a 'reservoir' of knowledge in the field of civil engineering.

With 22 of us running for six seats it is no foregone conclusion so if you are a Member or Fellow your support would be appreciated! You should have received emails explaining the process and you can vote until midday on 9 July. Don’t delay!


My decision to run was sparked by wanting to contribute in more of a structured way to the ICE now that I am back in the UK, in particular after having enjoyed involvement with the Institution in Hong Kong. My time in the US, India and Hong Kong has made it clear to me that the ICE should work hard to maintain and develop its global reputation. I also am aware that there are some big issues to do with demographics, new versus old skill sets and the impact, both good and bad, or new technology. There are some big subjects to grapple with in the years to come.

My election statement can be found at this link, but to save you the click, here it is below!

Alongside me Ian Smith and Stephen Orr of Atkins are also standing. We all found out we were running only when the candidates were published.

‘...We must capture the experience of our members, pass this on to our graduates and students, and ensure it is incorporated into new technologies and future thinking.’

My key aim as a member of Council would be to encourage development of the full range of skills and roles needed by our industry for the challenges we now face. We must capture the experience of our members, pass this on to our graduates and students, and ensure it is incorporated into new technologies and future thinking. I would support the ICE's development as the benchmark for professionalism in civil engineering worldwide.

I have 28 years' experience leading design teams in the UK, US, India and China, delivering buildings in the rail, aviation, commercial, sports and nuclear sectors. Alongside my role as a Design Director for Atkins I lead their worldwide network of structural engineers and I would bring my international experience and perspective to the Council.

I was chartered in 1993 and became a Fellow in Hong Kong in 2008. In 2011 I drafted the Hong Kong Association's response to the government's climate change proposals and was a contributing author to the ICE's 'Manual of Structural Design: Buildings'. I recently joined Southampton University's Industrial Advisory Board and speak at industry events such as the 'Budding Brunels' apprenticeship launch and BIM conferences.

No comments: